Sunday, September 29, 2013

Recently Read Books: In This House of Brede

In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden


I bought an old edition of this book since reviewers raved about the story, but Amazon customers had majors issues with the reprinted edition. This book was a unique read because everything takes place in a world apart: a convent run by a contemplative order outside of a small British town in the 1950s or so. Reading the story is to brush against an entirely new vocabulary (every position, service, prayer hour, and building carries names steeped in Latin and tradition), as well as a schedule, a way of life which seems to belong to the Middle Ages. I loved the way the author balanced this sense of mystery by making the story all about what was going on inside of these ladies’ heads, hearts, or souls. By inviting the reader into the nuns’ personal struggles, memories, and desires, the author creates a story that is warm and human.  Due to the raving reviews I read, I expected this book to make it to my list of top favorites  once I’d read it. While it actually did not make the list, it was a special and enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment