Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Empathy through Story: A Mini Series (Book 1: Speak)




When I think of the books that have deeply affected me, I think of the ones that have formed or reformed my perspective through story. Books that have taken issues I have forgotten, dismissed, misunderstood, or never considered and made them personal. 

I have learned to care and wrestle and introspect because the characters invited me into their worlds and helped me understand. I learned to empathize, to see the multiple layers present in conflict, ethical dilemmas, marriage, childhood, culture, friendships, family relationships; my heart-eyes opened easily because I was not threatened by these bookish characters. The deepest recesses of my heart have been confronted, enlightened, changed by my reading experience. Empathy changes everything, and the safest way to start building empathy is to pick up story.

I love when I sense that a book is teaching me empathy. I’m always in awe of the author’s craft; how did he/she make me care so much and help me understand so clearly without preaching at all? How did this writer speak to me through the nuances, through the blurred lines of the story? Most especially, how did this writer reach the hearts of my ESL students, language and cultural barriers notwithstanding?

I love it when a story alone does deep work in my soul.

I wanted to write a mini-series on books that have done this for me (and, at times, for my students). What better place to start than with classroom vignettes surrounding the novel Speak?


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I have seen my students grow so much through reading the story of Melinda, a high schooler struggling with depression as a result of date rape. The thing is, through most of the story, the reader does not know what happened to cause this emotional pain because Melinda won’t talk about the event, even to herself. The people surrounding her are focused on her failing grades and avoidant behavior, but Melinda needs a safe person to talk to.

We read this book together and talk about depression, self-injury, counseling, friendship, and family communication, focusing on Melinda. Suddenly my students’ eyes are intense; they are talking to me about depression after class, sharing about a depressed friend during class discussions.

My students have never really learned about emotional health, and I love watching them dive into this territory, expressing compassion for Melinda and brainstorming ways to help her.

--The students in groups, creating a support group for Melinda
--The students in a therapy role play, re creating what is broken in Melinda’s family/communication, and practicing the art of listening.
--The students’ reflection essays, debriefing their No Speaking Project and expressing what they have learned about depression and lonely suffering


I learn so much as I teach this novel. I learn as I watch my students wrestle with questions that have no easy answers. 

How can I reach out to someone who is hurting, but avoidant? How can I recognize the signs of depression? What is the best way to support someone in their journey towards healing? Who is a safe person to talk to? How should families address real issues without pushing the hurt child farther into the darkness? What are alternative ways we can use in communication? What is the role of art therapy? What are healthy ways to deal with pain? Will ignored emotions go away? What are some open ended questions that are not accusatory, but will help us learn about what is going on inside? How often do we assume rather than observe?

Melinda Sordino is not a real teen. But she is very real to us. We hurt for her; we worry about her; we brainstorm ways to support her. She has made it tough for us to ignore our peers who may be hurting. She is teaching us empathy.



No comments:

Post a Comment