Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Empathy Through Story (A Mini Series) Book 3: Dandelion Wine


Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury


Through this beautiful story, the reader truly feels the emotions of 12-year-old Douglas Spaulding during a very profound summer. If this book were a movie, the camera angles would mimic The Florida Project movie---low to the ground, the camera shooting from a child’s eye level. This book almost physically causes you to bend your knees and look at the world from the perspective of a boy who has just discovered he is alive.

Douglas’ outward behavior may appear puzzling and irritating at times, but he has elaborate, specific (childlike) reasons for his actions and he needs the kindness and understanding from people who can patiently sense what he is feeling. I still remember how gently Doug’s father responded to his sensitive, emotional son who appeared to have stolen the arcade witch. My first tendency would be to pronounce judgment on the child’s actions, but Doug had a whole list of reasons why he felt he needed to take the witch, and he needed someone to withhold judgment and respond with gentle questions and warm empathy.

I realized that I had forgotten how much one feels and notices as a child. This book gently taught me to empathize with children, reminded me to withhold my snap “adult” judgments, and invited me to notice, wonder, and to feel.

When one of my dearest friends gave birth to her first child, a son, I sent her this book. I can’t think of a better gift to give a parent, teacher, or anyone who works with children. I need to read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment