Saturday, March 2, 2013

Recently Read Books: River Town


River Town by Peter Hessler  (New York Times bestseller, nonfiction)
A Peace Corps volunteer’s account of his two years spent teaching English in small--town college in China in the later 90’s.  Phenomenal writing and full of astute, perceptive observations of the enigma which is China. I loved reading this book in my fifth year of teaching in China because Hessler gave words to things which I have also experienced, felt, or wondered about. He describes his students and Chinese friends with warmth, giving the reader a glimpse into their personal struggles, small joys, and future hopes. The student writings that he included from his classes served as windows into the souls of these young people standing on the cusp of their futures. While I think anyone who has lived or taught in China will LOVE this book, I think others will enjoy it as well. It would be the perfect book to start on for those whom China seems faraway and monochromatic. An honest retelling by a man who was willing to work hard to establish a human connection with those around him.

4 comments:

  1. I read this a couple of years before I went to China (circa 2007) and loved it. I've enjoyed all of his books ('Oracle Bones' the least and 'Country Driving', the most). Now that the Three Gorges Dam is complete, that puts a whole new spin on the book. Hmmm...maybe I should read it again! Oh Time, where are thou! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, thanks Amy---now I wanna read Country Driving :-)

      Delete
  2. You are such a reader! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mags, I know you've read some gems too...lemme know which books you recommend!

      Delete