Sunday, March 3, 2013

Recently Read Books: A Song I Knew by Heart


A Song I Knew by Heart by Brett Lott  (fiction)
This book had great reviews, so I read it. J Lott is a good writer (one of the first thing that makes or breaks a book for me J), but the story disappointed me. It had great potential and was good in many ways, but it ended up being totally predictable because of his overt uses of the names from the book of Ruth. (Folks unfamiliar with the book of Ruth might not figure out the story line so soon, but I think Lott should have had the sense not to take such chances.) Personally, I can’t stand Christian fiction in general (usually because of bad writing), and so this technique of Lott’s distracted me into suspicions that he was writing a cheap novel instead of a serious work of fiction. (This book was not supposed to be in the category of “Christian fiction”). The ending made me feel like I was right. However, Lott’s writing ability and his discussion of serious themes carried me through a good bit of the story. I would have to say it stands a notch above the kind of genre I can’t stand. J The themes are: forgiveness, grief, rediscovery of hope, and intimacy based on vulnerability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment